top of page
Ebony Anuforo-Profile Picture _edited_edited.png
Untitled design (9).png

If you are a United States Citizen and over the age of 21 years old, then you can petition for your parents to become a lawful permanent resident. Currently, U.S. Immigration Law only allows for United States citizens to be allowed to petition for their parents to receive a green card. Unfortunately, Green card holders may not petition to bring parents to live in the United States.

So what are the steps to petition for your parent?

The first step is to complete and submit the I-130 Petition for Alien relative form. When submitting this document, you also want to submit evidence of the familial relationship and proof of your U.S. Citizen status. So you can submit a copy of your birth certificate showing the name or names of the parent you are sponsoring, a copy of your U.S. passport or your naturalization certificate if you became a naturalized citizen.

If you are filing for your stepparent, you would provide the same information and documents along with a copy of the marriage certificate showing that the marriage between your birth parent and step parent took place before your 18th birthday, along with evidence that the previous marriage between your birth parents ended in divorce, annulment or death.

If you are petitioning for your adoptive parent, you must also provide a certified copy of the adoption certificate showing that the adoption took place before your 16th birthday, and proof that you lived with your adoptive parent.

As the sponsor, you must also be able to show that you will be financially responsible for your beneficiary, and will be required to complete an Affidavit of Support. This form is called the I-864.

Depending on whether your parents are in the United States or abroad will determine tha next steps in the process. If you parent is abroad, once the I-130 application is approved. They will go through the consular processing and if your parents are in the United States and eligible they would apply for adjustment of status.

If you have any questions about the parent petition process, you can give our office a call at 201.565.0099 Or if you would like us to help you with any other immigration matter, you can call or text us at 201.565.0099.

What is Temporary Protected Status?

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a temporary immigration status provided to nationals of certain countries experiencing problems that make it difficult or unsafe for their nationals to be deported to those countries. TPS has been a lifeline to hundreds of thousands of individuals already in the United States when problems in a home country make it difficult for them to depart or be deported to their home country.

Congress created TPS in the Immigration Act of 1990. It is a temporary immigration status provided to nationals of specifically designated countries that are confronting an ongoing armed conflict, environmental disaster, or extraordinary and temporary conditions. It provides a work permit and stay of deportation to foreign nationals from those countries who are in the United States at the time the U.S. government makes the designation.

For what reasons can a country be designated for TPS?

A country may be designated for TPS for one or more of the following reasons:

· An ongoing armed conflict, such as a civil war, that poses a serious threat to the personal safety of returning nationals;

· An environmental disaster, such as an earthquake, hurricane, or epidemic, that results in a substantial but temporary disruption of living conditions, and because of which the foreign state is temporarily unable to adequately handle the return of its nationals; or

· Extraordinary and temporary conditions in the foreign country that prevent its nationals from returning to the country in safety (unless the U.S. government finds that permitting these nationals to remain temporarily in the United States is contrary to the U.S. national interest).

How long are TPS designations?

A TPS designation can be made for 6, 12, or 18 months at a time. the Secretary decides whether to extend or terminate a designation based on the conditions in the foreign country.

What are the benefits of TPS?

During a designated period, TPS holders are:

  • Not removable from the U.S. and not detainable by DHS on the basis of his or her immigration status,

  • Eligible for an employment authorization document (EAD), and

  • Eligible for travel authorization if granted that authorization.

Does TPS create a path to permanent residence or citizenship?

TPS does not provide beneficiaries with a separate path to lawful permanent residence (a green card) or citizenship. However, a TPS recipient who otherwise is eligible for permanent residence may apply for that status. If you have a family member who can file for you, you can under TPS apply for that benefit.

For a list of countries currently designated for TPS you can visit USCIS website.

If you would like us assist you with your particular immigration issue, or know someone who would benefit from the information that we provide please give us a call at 201.565.0099

Q: Can I really get my green card on my own if I have been abused?

A: The short answer is YES!

Our office has been successful in helping many undocumented immigrants get green cards on their own with out the participation of their abusive spouse. VAWA is a completely confidential process and your spouse will not know that you filed your own green card petition. If you would like to learn about the VAWA green card process and whether you qualify, you can call/text/WhatsApp 201.565.0099 to request a case evaluation.

You can also book online by clicking the link in our bio or visiting


bottom of page