top of page
Ebony Anuforo-Profile Picture _edited_edited.png
Untitled design (9).png

Self-petitioners who are petitioning as a child or a parent need to show the familial relationship to the abuser. This is shown with the birth certificate of the self-petitioner and the abuser. Adopted children and stepchildren will need additional documentation for their self-petition.

Stepchildren will need to provide documentation showing the marriage, which created the stepchild relationship, occurred before their 18th birthday. Some of the evidence that can be used to show this is the stepchild’s birth certificate, the marriage certificate of the stepparent and the natural parent showing when the marriage occurred, and any

evidence of legal termination of prior marriages (if any existed).

Adopted children will need to provide evidence that the adoption was finalized before their 16th birthday (or the child is the sibling of a child adopted by the same parents before the age of 18). Evidence that can be provided to show this is the adoption decree and proof of residence with the abusive parent for some period of time.

Adopted children under VAWA do not have to meet the two-year residency requirement (as required in family-based petitions) and can still qualify even if they lived for less time with their abuser.

CALL/TEXT/WHATSAPP to learn if you qualify 201.565.0099 or book online .

There are many misconceptions about the VAWA green card process. In this video Attorney Ebony will discuss some of the most popular myths that people have about the VAWA self-petition. #vawa#greencard#domesticviolence#immigration#immigrationlawyer



My name is Ebony Anuforo and I'm a U.S. immigration Attorney and the Managing Partner at the Anuforo Law Firm. As an immigration attorney, I help immigrants get green cards, visas, citizenship and start businesses in the United States. I am located in New Jersey, however I help people in all 50 states and around the world with their Immigration Law matters. Ebony Anuforo, Esq. Immigration Attorney Website:

Office Phone: 201-565-0099 Email:

I recently had a consultation with a potential client, who was very afraid, nervous and worried about the status of her marriage-based green card petition. She was very frantic on the call and said that her husband has been making threats that he will not attend their marriage interview once scheduled.

You see they have been having disagreements lately, and things have just been really tough in their marriage. This young lady appeared to be extremely worried, because she loves her husband and really doesn't want to do or say anything that could jeopardize their relationship and of course her green card.

During our call, I asked a series of questions to learn more about the facts of her case, in order to get a bigger and deeper picture of what is going on. From the call I was able to discover that she was in an extremely emotionally abusive marriage that sometimes got physical. While this potential client, was initially in denial about the abuse, half way through our call she realized that she was in fact in an abusive relationship and needed help.

Based on certain details of her case, it was pretty clear that she had a strong VAWA case, and could convert her current marriage green card case into a VAWA self-petition. She took a week to think about it, because as I mentioned she was in denial, afraid, and on the fence about doing anything to hurt her spouse, which is a very common concern for many VAWA self-petitioners. When I spoke with her I reassured her that VAWA is a confidential process and her spouse will not be apart of the process, nor does he have to know.

Today, she retained our Firm to represent her in her VAWA self-petition and she is one step closer to getting her green card on her own.

It makes me happy to be able to help clients like this because, for many of them they choose to stay in dangerous situations just because they are looking for legal status in this country. It makes me very happy to be able to help someone find their way to freedom.

If you or someone you know is a victim of abuse and want to learn about the VAWA green card process, you can Call or text 201.565.0099 to set up a FREE initial VAWA Assessment. Or click the link to book online. FREE VAWA ASSESSMENT CALL

bottom of page