top of page

5 Ways to Get A Green card Without Getting Married.

It is no secret that most people feel that the "easiest" way to get a green card/permanent residency in the United States is through marriage to a U.S. Citizen or Resident. In this article I will share 5 other ways to obtain a green card without getting married.

  1. Employment-based green card: You may be eligible for a green card if you have a job offer from a U.S. employer. There are several categories of employment-based green cards, and each has its own eligibility criteria. For example, you may qualify for an EB-1 green card if you have extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics. You may also qualify for an EB-2 green card if you have an advanced degree or exceptional ability in your field. Most people who obtain a green card from an Employer typically start off with an H-1B visa which is a temporary non-immigrant visa for speciality occupations.

2. Investment-based green card: You may be eligible for a green card if you invest a certain amount of money in a U.S. business. The EB-5 category is reserved for individuals who invest at least $1.8 million in a new commercial enterprise that creates at least 10 full-time jobs for U.S. workers. There are other visas available for individuals looking to invest or start businesses in the United States, such at the E-2 visa. While the E-2 visa is a temporary visa, individuals who do qualify for a green card through another avenue can change their status to permanent residency.

3. Family-based green card: You may be eligible for a family-based green card if you have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. However, the wait times for family-based green cards can be quite long, especially for certain categories of relatives.

4. Asylum or refugee status: You may be eligible for a green card if you are granted asylum or refugee status in the United States due to persecution or fear of persecution in your home country.

5. Diversity Visa lottery: You may be eligible to apply for a green card through the Diversity Visa lottery program, also known as the Green Card Lottery. The lottery is open to individuals from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Each of these options has its own eligibility criteria and application process, so it's important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine which option is best for you.


bottom of page