top of page
  • Ebony Anuforo

Can I apply for VAWA without a police report?

A VAWA self-petition is an immigration benefit that allows the abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident to apply for their green card on their own. If you are the abused parent of a U.S. citizen, you may also qualify to apply for your green card through VAWA as a self petitioner. Your abusive spouse or child is not involved in the application process and does not even need to know about it. This immigration benefit protects the privacy and provides safety to victims of domestic violence and allows the undocumented spouse to get his/her green card.

A police report is not required evidence for a VAWA self-petition. If you do not have a police report, you may still qualify for VAWA provided you can show evidence of abuse. Your own personal statement (declaration) can be used as evidence for a VAWA self-petition. ⠀⠀⠀⠀

By Ebony Anuforo, Esq.


bottom of page