top of page
Ebony Anuforo-Profile Picture _edited_edited.png
Untitled design (9).png

It is no secret that most people feel that the "easiest" way to get a green card/permanent residency in the United States is through marriage to a U.S. Citizen or Resident. In this article I will share 5 other ways to obtain a green card without getting married.

  1. Employment-based green card: You may be eligible for a green card if you have a job offer from a U.S. employer. There are several categories of employment-based green cards, and each has its own eligibility criteria. For example, you may qualify for an EB-1 green card if you have extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics. You may also qualify for an EB-2 green card if you have an advanced degree or exceptional ability in your field. Most people who obtain a green card from an Employer typically start off with an H-1B visa which is a temporary non-immigrant visa for speciality occupations.

2. Investment-based green card: You may be eligible for a green card if you invest a certain amount of money in a U.S. business. The EB-5 category is reserved for individuals who invest at least $1.8 million in a new commercial enterprise that creates at least 10 full-time jobs for U.S. workers. There are other visas available for individuals looking to invest or start businesses in the United States, such at the E-2 visa. While the E-2 visa is a temporary visa, individuals who do qualify for a green card through another avenue can change their status to permanent residency.

3. Family-based green card: You may be eligible for a family-based green card if you have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. However, the wait times for family-based green cards can be quite long, especially for certain categories of relatives.

4. Asylum or refugee status: You may be eligible for a green card if you are granted asylum or refugee status in the United States due to persecution or fear of persecution in your home country.

5. Diversity Visa lottery: You may be eligible to apply for a green card through the Diversity Visa lottery program, also known as the Green Card Lottery. The lottery is open to individuals from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Each of these options has its own eligibility criteria and application process, so it's important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine which option is best for you.

I receive so many questions from clients, and potential clients about how to get a green card interview waived by USCIS. And this is because there has been a growing trend by UCIS where they have been waiving certain marriage-based green card interviews.

While there is no guarantee that your interview will be waived by USCIS, there are some things that you can do, that may increase your chances of having your green card interview waived.

In this video, I share a few tips on how you can increase your chances in having your family-based green card interview waived.

If you are adjusting your status based on marriage, then chances are you also submitted an application for a work permit and travel document. USCIS typically issue work permits to individuals with a pending adjustment of status so that they can work while their green card case is being adjudicated. Which means that they are working on your case. If you green card ends up being denied then ultimately your work permit which was based off of that pending green card application is no longer valid.

If you have been denied, then you should speak to an Immigration Attorney to analyze your case and determine whether or not you have any other options, such as a motion to reopen and reconsider or whether or not you should refile your application, or maybe you qualify for another benefit all together.

If you or someone you know is in this situation then please consider speaking to an Immigration Attorney.

If you have any questions about this issue or any other immigration matter you can give us a call at 201.565.0099 or visit our website at And we will be happy to talk to you about your particular immigration matter.

bottom of page